Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Woman's day!

We are celebrating the Woman's month and as a tribute here list of things every woman should do that i found while doing work.

Learn self defense. The few hours you take to learn it can save your life. I've seen short women take down guys over 6 feet tall who underestimated them because of size. Size doesn't matter, it's where you hit. I recommend Just yell fire. You can download it FREE or request DVDs. It's less than an hour but it's very useful. Even though it's geared towards young girls, the lessons are useful for all women. Here's the link:

Get involved with politics. I couldn't care less what party you join but educate yourself & get involved. I've followed politics since I was a kid since we had to do current events projects a lot. In fact, the first political race I followed was Mario Cuomo going against George Pataki for NY Governor in 1994 when I was 8 for class. I'm glad because SO much affects women these days & so many aren't informed. When I mean politics, I mean every branch. From your City Manager to the President of the United States. What happens at the very bottom goes up to the top & you need to be kept informed. If you want to better things, get involved. I never heard of whining winning anything. Trust me, the people who bitch the most after elections about things are the ones who never voted.

Know your rights. There are many places & employers that try to intimidate women saying the job will think they're whining or they deny you privileges. I had one job where a guy hurt himself & they found him work to do with no trouble. I had a paper trail 2 months long, prescriptions as proof I couldn't work & they've SEEN me in the middle of asthma attacks, yet they tried to say I didn't qualify for medical leave. Once I went overhead with my letters, they were singing a new song.

Learn how to fix little things for yourself. It's not secret some businesses will charge women extra for some things because they think we don't know anything. I've seen my mother curse out huge, muscular mechanics or business owners for trying to cheat us out of money thinking we didn't know what issues we had. It was (and sometimes still is...) embarrassing as a kid but now that I'm older, I'm glad. Not saying you need to curse people out but it's good to keep on top of things. Even if you don't know how to fix it, we will know where to get it done without being cheated. And check Kelly Blue Book before reselling a car. People will try to underbuy. Changing your oil or tire isn't always easy, but shelling out $30 per service adds up over time. It also helps to do research before calling for services. If they try to up the charge for the same EXACT service, leave...then call the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or whatever business reporting agency your country has.

Break stereotypes. It only takes one to make someone think all women aren't bad. I've seen girls try to be "independent women" with backwards feminism & they make us all look bitchy. So if a guy holds a door for you or offers to help carry something, say thank you, even if you don't accept the help.

Do it yourself. Don't rely on anyone to help. I'm not meaning this as no one will ever help you, but it's not worth keeping your life on hold waiting for others. Learn to exist as one person. I hate when girls get so dependent on men/friends for money, affection or gifts that they can't function on their own & end up using men or others to get what they want/need. My mom told me from the beginning the only person you can trust 100% is yourself & you cant be dependent on people. I've had people my age laugh at me because I go to sit down places to eat by myself (what, I'm supposed to starve because I'm alone?), go shopping or the movies. Yeah it's fun with friends but if I have no one to go with, I'll go alone with no shame. For one thing, it's not good to be so clingy because that too alienates people.

Don't be scared of the GYN (aka: the girlie doctor). They're there to HELP you, not judge you. I've heard so many stupid stories about not going because it's embarrassing, they're "too young", it's uncomfortable, blah blah. It's ONCE a year, unless you're sick, high risk or pregnant. I don't like it either but I'd rather the few moments of discomfort than to not know then, God Forbid, there's a problem that could have been caught early. Trust me, I had to go for cyst issues but I'm so glad I went because even though they weren't cancerous, they HURT & affected my ability to work & function. I was lucky, those who choose not to go may not be. Age isn't a factor anymore. Jade Goody was 27 when she died from cervical cancer & it's making doctors screen even earlier.

Learn to drive. Even if you have someone with you 24/7 to take you wherever, or you live by the train/bus, you should learn because you never know when you may have to get behind the wheel. Plus, the longer you've been driving, the cheaper your insurance will be. New drivers are always pay a little extra because of the possibility of accidents. Pretty much until you're 25, you're a high risk but learn as soon as you can. It gets easier & you'll feel more independent.

Learn something NEW! It just keeps life fun. You dont even have to spend money to do it if you don't want to. I just looked up computer codes in high school to learn how to do up my social sites & I have people messaging me like crazy to help them. They think it's confusing but it's second nature to me on some things. Plus I met quite a few people doing this. Then when that got boring, I started beta reading (which is proofreading someone's writing to correct mistakes & offer suggestions). There's free stuff/low cost activities to do in communities too. I'm taking a $25 six week course on City Services. I've met the police, city manager, city clerks, toured our brand new fire house & next week I go to public works!

Be assertive. It can/will save your life. So many doctors write off women as worries but who knows your body better than you? YOU live in it! If they won't listen, get a second opinion, even if the doctor "gets mad". They may have a bruised ego but you will still be alive & seeking better medical care. Same goes with legal issues. Do you know how many women end up dead because their police force or judges refuse to believe them?

Love yourself. I think this is the most important thing on my list. How can you love someone else or have them love you if you don't love yourself. You are priceless & deserve good things in life, don't ever let someone tell you different!!

No comments: